Contour hugging smoothness for a close and quick shave.
My experience is with an older Sensotouch 3D Unfortunately, newer does not mean better. The only meaningful change is a different head, which provides a very good shave, but it's predecessor shaves better. Fortunately the heads are interchangeable.
This is my daily go-to shaver. That's a strong endorsement since I have almost 10 to choose from. We bought it from a customer that had difficulty with using an early version of Shaver Shebang. Not only did the purchase help us understand and correct the problem, but it gave me my favorite shaver. Before that I was a Braun-hole, thinking that I'd never find a better electric shave.
The results aren't that much better than the top of the line Braun, but the shave feels a bit smoother with the old head and about the same with the new one. Either way the shave is faster, probably because there's more blade surface and the three floating heads do a great job of hugging the contours of your skin. The thin edges do a much better job of getting into the nooks and crannies than you'd expect since the edge of the blades is recessed from the edge.
SensoTouch 3D is a good name, and not just for the obvious marketing reasons. It's descriptive. The surface is sensitive to the contours of the skin and the 3D technolgy actually pushes the blade towards the skin.
This is a wet/dry razor. With a freshly cleaned razor, I prefer the dry shave. The hint of extra lubrication left behind by Shaver Shebang provides a bit smoother shave when dry. This preference came as a bit of a surprise, because I prefer a wet shave with a Braun wet/dry shaver. This preference is probably highly subjective.
One reviewer compared it side-by-side with a high-end blade while using the same shaving cream for both. He claims that the shave was just as close. That's a strong statement, which I suspect isn't true for tough beards.
The trimmer works well as expected. That's true for all of the shavers that we've reviewed except for the Philips Norelco 9000 series.
As mentioned previously, the head is interchangeable with the old Sensotouch 3D's head. To get the better shave, an option is to buy the old style of head when the head is due for replacement. That's why there are two heads in the purchase tab. The third head option is actually replacement blades for the new heads, which is about 20% cheaper than replacing the whole head. The same heads also fit the Philips Norelco 9000 Series.
The biggest drawback is that it only charges in the base. Most other shavers in this review can also plug directly into the wall. That could be a big issue for the road warriors out there that go on long trips. Of course, then you could go back to the last century and use a blade and shaving cream.
The cleaning system works well. Great results if you clean after every one or two shaves, and perhaps three shaves if you have a lighter beard. If you take longer between cleanings, it is best to shake out the debris first. The shaver is heat dried at the end of the cleaning cycle.
Key Features of the Philips Norelco 8700 Series 8000 Shaver:
- Geoflex 3D system for close shaves and skin adaptation
- 3 dynamic cutting cutting elements
- Includes 3 shave speed settings
- Ultratrack shaver head that is designed to catch and cut problematic hairs
- Jet Clean system by Norelco
- Wet and dry shaving options
- Includes a slide-out precision trimmer for beards and mustaches
- Lift and cut action
- Aquatec seal for smooth, refreshing shaves
- 5 level battery indicator, cleaning indicator, replace heads indicator, low battery indicator, and travel lock indicator
- Fully washable and waterproof
- Durable lithium ion battery
- Equipped with a travel pouch
- Battery life of up to 50 minutes or 17 days
- 2 year manufacturer warranty included
- Easily accessible and convenient portability
Highlights of the Jet Clean System
The Philips Norelco 8700 Series 8000 series is equipped with a portable, convenient charging station called the Jet Clean system. This feature allows you to thoroughly clean your shaver after every use. In addition to its cleaning functions, the Jet Clean system lubricates, dries, and charges your system to ensure that it functions at a high level. Save with Shaver Shebang for Norelco Jet Clean HQ200.
- Cleans, lubricates, dries, and charges after each shave for longer lasting cutting efficiency
- Full charges of up to 50 minutes of shaving time or 17 days
- Dual filtration system to provide optimal cleansing and lubrication